During Disney ‘s Fiscal 2023 1st Quarter Earnings Results Webcast , Bob Iger announced the sequels to Toy Story, Frozen and Zootopia .
Disney ‘s CEO said during his first quarter earnings meeting on Wednesday evening (CET):
“Today I am pleased to announce that our animation studios have sequels in the works to some of our most popular franchises, Toy Story, Frozen and Zootopia.
We will have more information on these productions soon, but this is a great example of how we are building on our unrivaled brands and franchises.”
The numbers speak
They certainly weighed in part the numbers of the studio’s latest original films: Strange World ($74 million worldwide), Encanto $256 million worldwide, including $96 million in the United States). Pixar ‘s recent Lightyear also didn’t shine at the worldwide box office, only $226 million.
Back to the sequels:
- Frozen 2 grossed $1.45 billion in 2019;
- the song “Into the Unknown” was nominated for Best Original Song at the 2020 Oscars.
- Pixar’s Toy Story 4 instead $1.07 billion in 2019
- was nominated for two Academy Awards in 2020: one for Randy Newman’s original song “I Can’t Let You Throw Yourself Away,” and won for Best Animated Feature.
- Zootopia took home $1.02 billion in 2016.
- won the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature in 2017