At the 94th edition of the Oscars ceremony, Japan took home.
The Oscar for Best International Film with Drive My Car by director Ryûsuke Hamaguchi . This was Japan’s second victory.
This year Japan will try to re-win the statuette at the 95th Academy Awards with director Chie Hayakawa ‘s debut feature : PLAN 75 . The film premiered this year in the Un Certain Regard section of the Cannes Film Festival where it received a special mention from the Caméra d’Or jury .
The film was released in Japanese theaters in mid-June, in 90 theaters, in 66 days (data updated to August 23), sold 246,009 tickets and grossed ¥ 383,975,550 at the box office. Plan 75 has been deployed in over 30 countries and regions around the world, including France, Singapore, Thailand and Taiwan.
Set in the near future in Japan, where the birth rate is falling and the population is aging, we follow the implementation of the government Plan 75 program which encourages seniors over 75 to voluntarily undergo euthanasia.
The protagonists are an elderly woman who sees her means of survival disappear, a pragmatic salesman of Plan 75 and a young Filipino worker. All three face life or death choices.
Hayakawa said :
“I have a strange feeling that the PLAN 75 film is progressing more and more on its own. I feel that it has become the film of the public who saw it, so much so that I no longer feel like a film that I directed. I am honored to receive this recognition. “
Chieko Baisho plays one of the elderly protagonists of the film, complete the cast Hayato Isomura, Taka Takao, Yumi Kawai and Stefanie Arianne .
The film is produced by Loaded Films ‘ Eiko Mizuno-Gray and Jason Gray , and France’s Urban Factory ‘s Frédéric Corvez and Maéva Savinien .
The Night of the Oscars 2023 will be held on Sunday 12 March 2023 , here is the official calendar:
- Last day for submitting titles for selection: 15 November 2022
- Governors Awards: November 19, 2022
- Preliminary voting starts: 12 December 2022
- End of preliminary voting: 15 December 2022
- Shortlist announcement: 21 December 2022
- Voting starts for the nominations: January 12, 2023
- End of voting for nominations: January 17, 2023
- Nomination announcement: January 24, 2023
- Oscar Luncheon: February 13, 2023
- Final voting starts: 2 March 2023
- End of final voting: March 7, 2023
- 95th Night of the Oscars – March 12, 2023