After scoring $ 1.1M in previews on Thursday and on Wednesday’s PLF screens, Murder on the Nile , registering -31% compared to Murder on the Orient Express ($ 1.6M).
Compared to adult films released during the pandemic, only House of Gucci did better with $ 1.3M.
The film, which received a B on CinemaScore , the same rating as Assassinio received on the Orient Express , ended the weekend with $ 12.8M (-55% compared to Orient Express which had grossed $ 28.7M), less than the forecasts from analysts who predicted a $ 13.7M weekend.
However, it is the second best weekend for a film for an adult audience, after Gucci ($ 14.4M), during the pandemic and the film has sold 1 million tickets. The audience was made up of: 51% men / 49% women, 77% over 25 years of age.
It should also be noted that the sequel cost $ 90M, $ 35M more than the first film.
In third place is Universal ‘s romantic comedy Marry Me , available for a fee on the Peacock platform . The Jennifer Lopez – Owen Wilson movie premiered $ 500K, and opened on Friday for $ 3M (including previews) and then grossed $ 8M on opening weekend and sold 670K tickets.
The film received a B + on CinemaScore , an improvement over the B- in The Girls of Wall Street – Business Is Business ( Hustlers ). JLO ‘s latest romantic comedy , Ricomincio da me ( Second Act ) opened in 2018 during the year-end holidays, with $ 6.4M, and then finished the run in the US with $ 39M.
Top 10 Box Office: (estimates)
1. Murder on the Nile , 3,280 theaters, Fri: $ 5.10M (includes previews $ 1.1M), 3-day $ 12.80M, Average: $ 3,902, Total: $ 12.80M (Dis / 20th) Sep1
2. Jackass Forever , 3,653 (+8 ) theaters, Fri: $ 2.87M, 3-day $ 8.05M (-65.2%), Average: $ 2,203, Total: $ 37.42M (Par) Sep2
3. Marry Me , 3,642 theaters, Fri: $ 3M (including previews $ 500k) , 3-day $ 8.00M, Average: $ 2,196, Total: $ 8M (Uni) Set1
4. Spider-Man: No Way Home , 3,300 (-300) theaters, Fri: $ 1.8M, 3-day $ 7.15M (-24.7% ), Average: $ 2,166, Total: $ 759.00M (Sony) Set9
5. Blacklight , 2,772 theaters, Fri: $ 1.23M (including previews), 3-day $ 3.60M, Average: $ 1,298, Total: $ 3.6M (Briar) Set1
6 .Sing 2 , 2,831 (-435) theaters, Fri: $ 650k, 3-day $ 2.95M (-30.0%), Average: $ 1,042, Total: $ 143.38M (Uni / Ill) Sep8
7. Moonfall , 3,446 theaters, Fri: $ 824 Thousand, 3-days $ 2.85M (-71.1%), Average: $ 827, Total: $ 15.15M (LG) Set2
8. Scream , 2,619 (-651) theaters, Fri: $ 810K, 3-days $ 2.83M (- 40.3%), Average: $ 1,082, Total: $ 73.1M (Par) Sep 5
9. Licorice Pizza , 1,977 (+1,191) cinema, Fri: $ 298k, 3-day $ 923k (+ 43%), Average: $ 467, Total: $ 13.99M (UAR) Sep12
10. The King’s Man , 900 (-1010) theaters, Fri: $ 123k, 3-day $ 433k (-65%), Total: $ 36.7M (Dis / 20th) Sep8
11. Beatles Get Back : Rooftop Concert, 181 theaters, Fri: $ 157,000, 3-day $ 412,000, Average: $ 827, Total: $ 853,000 (De) Set3
In second place Paramount ‘s Jackass Forever , in its first seven days the film grossed $ 29.3M from 3,645 theaters. On its second Friday it grossed $ 2.8M, on its second weekend $ 8M (-65%), bringing the total to $ 37.6M.
This is the highest drop, in week two, recorded across the franchise:
Jackass: The Movie (-44%)
Jackass Number Two (50%)
Jackass 3D (-58%)
Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa (-38%)
The rest of the Top
The action movie Blacklight starring Liam Neeson opened Friday with $ 1.2M, Saturday $ 1.6M, ending the weekend with $ 3.6M, in line with the actor’s previous titles released during the pandemic.
When most theaters were closed, including New York and Los Angeles, Honest Thief grossed $ 3.6M over the weekend in October 2020 while The Marksman , $ 3.1M in January 2021.
The film only achieved a positive average of 6% by critics on Rotten Tomatoes, on PostTrak the public opinion is positive for 58% and only 39% of the public recommended the film.
Lionsgate / Centropolis’ Moonfall is not faring better , which grossed $ 2.85M (-71.1%) in its second weekend, recording a higher drop than the latest disaster movie Geostorm (-57%) directed by Dean Devlin . Recall that the film was made with a budget of $ 146M.
Spider-Man: No Way Home ($ 759.00M) is just $ 1.5 million away from Avatar ($ 760.5M), the Sony film will surpass James Cameron ‘s film this weekend, becoming the third-best-grossing American box office ever. The film grossed $ 1.85M on Friday and $ 7M (-25%) in its ninth weekend.
For some films nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars, there has been a theatrical expansion. Ryûsuke Hamaguchi ‘s film recorded the highest average per room: $ 1,519, the fifth best of the Top:
Belfast , 928 (+538) cinema, Fri $ 87,000 (+ 99%), 3-day $ 285,000 (+ 42%), average per room ($ 307), Total: $ 7.9M, (Foc) Sep14
West Side Story , 450 (-350) theaters, Fri $ 71,000 (-24%), 3-day $ 235,000 (-44%), average per room ($ 522), Total: $ 37.2M, (Dis / 20th) Set10
Drive My Car , 127 ( +40) cinema, Fri $ 52,000, 3-day $ 192.9,000 (+ 92%), average per theater ($ 1,519), Total: $ 1.22M, (Janus) Set12
Dune , 678 (+592) cinema, Fri $ 42,000 ( + 419%), 3-day $ 144,000 (+ 377%), Total: $ 107.8M, (WB / Legendary) Set17
Nightmare Alley , 405 (-300) cinema, Fri $ 30,000 (-44%), 3-day $ 85 thousand (-60%), average per room ($ 210), Total: Total $ 11M, (Sea) Set9