WILL SMITH BANNED FROM THE OSCARS FOR 10 YEARS, THE DECISION OF THE ACADEMY

After the meeting that had been set for today, Friday 8 April, the Academy has decided.

Advertisements

Will Smith will be banned from the Oscars for the next ten years, as a consequence of what happened during the Oscar Night.

The reference is obviously to the slap the actor gave Chris Rock during his monologue.

We have dealt with everything in depth in this post , as we know Will Smith had subsequently apologized to his colleague and a few days ago he had decided to leave the Academy of his own free will .

What does this decision entail?

The actor will not be able to participate in the events organized by the Academy for the next ten years. In any case, the Board has decided not to revoke Smith’s Oscar on March 27 for playing him in King Richard .

It also appears that this decision will have no impact on possible future candidates. In short, Smith may still be nominated for an Oscar, but if that happens he will not be able to participate in the awards ceremonies for the next ten years.

In an official statement, President David Rubin and CEO Dawn Hudson said:

The 94th edition of the Oscars was supposed to be a celebration of the many figures in our community who have done extraordinary work over the past season. Nonetheless, this moment was overshadowed by Mr. Smith’s violent and unacceptable behavior on stage.

During our telecast, we were unable to adequately address the situation. For this, we are very sorry. It had been an opportunity for us to set an example for our guests, spectators and our Academy family around the world, but we haven’t lived up to it. We were caught off guard by an unprecedented event.

Will Smith’s answer

Will Smith , through a spokesperson, said:

I accept and respect the Academy’s decision.